Don't you think it's about time that we create a Family Cookbook? Well, I DO! I've spent some time researching trying to come up with the easiest (free) way to get it going, and I believe this is it. Please post any of your favorite recipes, also any tips -- cooking, household, beauty, whatever -- and any inspirational thoughts (whether your own, or someone else's.) I would LOVE to have pictures to include as well. You could take pictures of the dishes/recipes you are submitting, or even just great pictures (or even below average pictures) of you and your family!

Please label each post with an appropriate label (i.e., salad, dessert, vegetarian, household tip, inspiration, etc.) Go ahead and add labels as needed; and it's ok to have more than one label per recipe/post.

My plan is to take what we assemble here, and put it into book form. I would love to have it ready for our Thanksgiving Extravaganza!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached flour
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 cups water

In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12-18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment